The Spring Thaw

28 Apr

There is big news in our household: after what can only be described as one of the hardest years of my life, full of health breakdowns and terrible scares, ambulance rides and unexpected surgery, unimaginable loss, and financial instability, the ship seems to be righting itself and finally heading to calmer waters. It’s been almost a year since the company Anthony worked for eliminated 100 positions – including his – and he has made great use of his time. In addition to taking care of some much-needed surgery, ending our infertility streak, and helping me through a difficult pregnancy, he’s been researching alternate career paths. We live in one of the hardest-hit areas of the country for unemployment and although he applied for every job in his same field he’s found, competition is fierce, so we investigated starting over in a few related and new fields, too. He never gave up on the search for a viable career within our rural-suburban hometown where we could remain where many of our friends and the bulk of our family live. All the work he’s put in over the last year has paid off and Anthony was hired by a local company that makes use of his talents and the classes he’s taken during this time. It is a fantastic opportunity. In addition to this, there are a couple of other opportunities presented to us, and within the next month or so we’ll be called on to make some big decisions.

I still have lingering anxiety about our situation. Part of me has a hard time trusting that things are improving and part of me is weighed down by the gravity of the decisions we will have to make. Sometimes change, even good change, is scary. We are just going to have to make the best decision we can with the information we have. We each have the resources to deal with life if things don’t go as planned, something I know now to a degree I wouldn’t have thought possible a year ago. If there’s anything this experience has taught me is that Anthony and I can rely on each other through anything. Stress like this can often tear a relationship apart, but we’ve used it to grow stronger. And we never would have made it this far without the support and love of our families and a vast network of friends who are there for us should we need them.

Now that Anthony’s started working again, I’m officially back to the solo parenting grind. Today hasn’t been ideal because I have a fever and feel extra terrible, but other than that it’s going really well. Check in with me in about a week, and we’ll see if I’m still smiling and relax or if I’ve become the stereotypical harried mother with bags under my eyes and a short temper.

Things are improving but change doesn’t come overnight. We expect things will still be difficult for awhile until we figure things out and build momentum in this new direction. Spring has arrived in seemingly unending winter of our life, and its sweet breath feels like relief.

14 Responses to “The Spring Thaw”

1. Andi April 29, 2014 at 12:44 am #

Congrats to Anthony on his new job!

• Carrie Anne May 22, 2014 at 9:03 am #

Thank you so much! It’s been a long road.

2. Nina the slackmistress April 29, 2014 at 6:21 am #

So happy to hear that things are looking up. Xo

• Carrie Anne May 22, 2014 at 9:04 am #

Thanks, Nina! We still have a long way to go before we recover financially, but we’re finally headed in the right direction.

3. Dizzy April 29, 2014 at 8:22 am #

Congratulations to your hubby on the new job! Hooray!!

• Carrie Anne May 22, 2014 at 9:05 am #

Thanks, Dizzy! xoxo

4. Ashley, the Accidental Olympian April 29, 2014 at 8:28 am #

OMG that is amazing news! Congrats on finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Spring is a time of new life, and it’s exciting to hear it’s also happening for your lovely little family.
    Ashley, the Accidental Olympian recently posted..ONE WEEK WITH JAWBONE UP – THE CONSMy Profile

• Carrie Anne May 22, 2014 at 9:05 am #

Thank you, Ashley! Your support has meant so much during this time.

5. Anne April 29, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

Hooray for things looking up! And for spring! And new family members! And all the things!
    Anne recently posted..FO Friday: Winter FlameMy Profile

• Carrie Anne May 22, 2014 at 9:05 am #

Hooray for happy!

6. Caitlin | The Siren's Tale April 29, 2014 at 1:30 pm #

Glad that things are looking up for you :) I agree with you, all change is scary. Even the change from bad to good can be scary because of the fear the good isn’t real or long-lasting. Here’s hoping things continue to get better and better with every day!
    Caitlin | The Siren’s Tale recently posted..Readers of Blogs: The Untold Story.My Profile

• Carrie Anne May 22, 2014 at 9:06 am #

Thank you, lady! I thought change might get less scary as I aged, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. At least I’m getting better at coping.

7. Sarah April 29, 2014 at 7:55 pm #

The good news is, financial instability builds character and makes us more interesting as people! Ugh. :) But, seriously, it is wonderful that your husband found a good job that sounds like it has the potential to be very fulfilling, and that through all the muck, you saw how solid your relationship with him is. For me, those are the real love stories.
    Sarah recently posted..We should buy the VFW!My Profile

• Carrie Anne May 22, 2014 at 9:07 am #

OMG, we have so much character now. Overflowing ;)