Thrifty Crafting: Thrift Store Gore Bingo

22 Oct

Each year when my birthday inevitably rolls around I try to accomplish something off of my life list. This year I’m focusing pretty hard on bringing order to my life as a whole, so instead of doing anything extravagant I wanted to celebrate my birthday in a sedate manner like a mature adult befitting of my newly advanced age. So I decided to create a game based off of the weird stuff I find while thrifting.

GAME PLAY

This idea has been in the works for while. It’s a cross between bingo and a scavenger hunt and I call it Thrift Store Gore Bingo. I brainstormed all the regular types of thrift store gore you can easily find on any thrifting trip and created a game board that’s meant to be printed out and taken with you while thrifting. You can play this with anywhere from 2 to however many people they will allow you to bring into the thrift store. The nature of the game is very subjective, so the thing to keep in mind is that this is less about winning and losing and more about having a great time finding weird things while thrifting.

This game doesn’t require you take a photo, but I took photos to record the day for posterity. Though to be fair you might want to snap a photo with your phone if you need to prove your gore to the rest of your friends later. We had a blast looking for items to mark off our score card, and within minutes it was obvious that we would play blackout to find all of the items to make the game and our entertainment last longer.

THE RESULTS

Since this was the first time we had tried the game it was good to see it in action and I was worried the whole thing might crash and burn but it was really fun and everyone liked it. The only suggestion I got was to make a few different game sheets with the items randomized so it would be less likely for us to all make a bingo at once. It seems obvious now but I didn’t think of that, so rest assured more bingo sheets are coming.

The only difficult square was “thrift store employee who questions your purchase choices” which has happened to me many times in my thrifting career but with nowhere near the regularity of finding the other items. I’ll probably change that square for something else I always find while thrifting, like a dopey hat or a ridiculous apron. Other than that I found everything on my list. And then some.

WANT TO PLAY?

Here’s a link to the game sheet for you to print out and use. I’d be honored if you took it thrifting and played along. Soon I’ll be updating that sheet and offering randomized versions. I have licensed this game on Flickr as an Attribution, Noncommercial, No Derivative Works Copyright as I’m still in the developmental stages. If  you try this game I’d love to see how you liked it! I share my birthday party with my dear friend Stefanie and it was an awesome, cheap way to celebrate.

NOW, THE PHOTOS

And now some photos of the ridiculousness we found.

21 Responses to “Thrifty Crafting: Thrift Store Gore Bingo”

1. Farren October 22, 2012 at 7:43 am #

That sticker of the cat on the moon sat on my chilhood alarm clock most of my life.
    Farren recently posted..#37. This Moment: Best Moments in Life are TheseMy Profile

• Carrie Anne October 27, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

I am going to make it into a magnet and I will totally think of you now. :)

2. valerie October 22, 2012 at 4:48 pm #

Best game ever, it was so much fun!

• Carrie Anne October 27, 2012 at 4:30 pm #

This is why we are friends. You can appreciate this.

3. Leslie October 23, 2012 at 12:35 pm #

That’s awesome! I am so going to play that. I have never seen the family photo still in the frame. That’s kind of sad. And the scary rabbit/seashell animal-thing is way more creepy than the doll! Just sayin’.

• Carrie Anne October 27, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

I have seen so many family photos. It’s ridiculous.

4. kara October 23, 2012 at 5:40 pm #

EEK! Some of those are soo scary! I have contributed many a work shirt to the thrift stores, and I am always waiting to see one around town… my last job was very big on tshirts (and poloshirts. and sweatshirts. and hats.) and eventually I had enough and got rid of multiple bags of them. I’m still curious about where they all ended up… and who would buy them!!
    kara recently posted..GreenMy Profile

• Carrie Anne October 27, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

This perplexes me. Why would a place of employment go to all the trouble and expense of making those shirts? They are OBVIOUSLY headed for Thrift Store Gores-ville. They must be a weird tax write-off or something.

5. Misfit Librarian October 24, 2012 at 10:29 am #

Here is the link to the blog post I made about playing

• Carrie Anne October 27, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

You SO made my day for playing along. Your present is on its way!

6. emily bilbrey October 26, 2012 at 1:18 pm #

laughed SO HARD as i scrolled through these. you are the best!!!

• Carrie Anne October 27, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

Thank you so much, Emily! :D

7. Jose October 27, 2012 at 10:08 pm #

Fantastic! Takes me back to those scavenger hunts for birthdays.

• Carrie Anne November 14, 2012 at 12:54 pm #

We totally had our scavenger hunts in mind when playing this. :)

8. Lurker November 5, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

AHHHAHAHHH! This is AWESOME! Don’t forget Yugoslavia, Senegambia and The United Arab Republic when it comes to “disbanded countries”.

• Carrie Anne November 7, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

Yes! There are several in Africa that have changed recently, too!

9. Jupiter December 23, 2012 at 1:54 am #

I’ve had this stashed in my Evernote for awhile now. I’ve definitely found all of these while thrifting…and honestly, I’ve bought quite a few. I shall start playing :-)
    Jupiter recently posted..[Food Stamp Food] Amanda shares a week of eatingMy Profile

• Carrie Anne June 30, 2013 at 11:28 pm #

Awesome!!

10. bingo promotions August 30, 2013 at 3:22 am #

Superb, what a web site it is! This website gives
    useful facts to us, keep it up.

my web page: bingo promotions
    bingo promotions recently posted..bingo promotionsMy Profile

11. look at this February 27, 2014 at 8:45 am #

These siges offer legitimate opportunities from actual employers who will generally be looking for work
    on a per project basis. Plenty of people are abble too make money at home either with their ownn businesses or working
    at hme for legitimate companies. If you are into surveys, just select the survey which you would
    like to do, complete it and you will receive your money.
    look at this recently posted..look at thisMy Profile

1. Seaside Memories, Bingo and a Thrifting game. | The Ana Mum Diary - October 22, 2012

[...] is the kind of bingo that I crave for now though. Thrift Store Bingo, as devised by the fabulous Thrifty Living blog that I follow. She explains and illustrates it [...]