What I’m up to:
– My mini-vacation to Reno was amazing. You can read a comic book-style post of the highlights here. What I didn’t mention is that we all suffered from altitude sickness. We’ve all pretty much lived at sea level for all our lives, so going up into the mountains made us all feel severely hung over, out of breath, and insatiably thirsty. Apparently, altitude sickness only affects a percentage of the population. We ALL got it, which makes me think we have to be the luckiest group of friends ever.
– There was excellent thrifting to be had in Reno. I even made my friends stop by a thrift store along the way when we stopped for a bathroom and coffee break and discovered the most amazing thrift store, Eco Thrift, in Citrus Heights. If you’re in the area, check it out! I hope to share my many thrift store scores, plus Reno’s finest Thrift Store Gore, later on.
– Zorro missed me dearly, apparently, because he hasn’t let me out of his sight since I returned. If I’m sitting down, he must be on top of me, crushing my ability to breathe and licking my head enthusiastically. I missed you, too, big boy.
– You may have noticed that nothing new posted over this weekend. I must have forgotten to save the carefully prepared posts I had so painstakingly set up for the weekend. That Sunday night, after I returned from the four-hour car ride and had dinner with my extended family I sat down and had a heart-to-heart with my computer.
– The last two weeks before my vacation were hard. Isobel quit napping and, at the same time, my parents were on their own vacation in Hawai’i, visiting my sister and brother-in-law. Which meant I got no break at all during the day, and after two weeks, oh man. Does Mama need a break. Even so, I missed Isobel so badly by the second day it hurt. I’m so glad to be back with Anthony, my sweet Isobel, and my own perfect, lovely, wonderful bed.
– I’m rewatching Star Trek: The Next Generation from the beginning. I’m extremely confident I’ve seen the whole series several times over, but since I’m watching them chronologically I’m secretly hoping there’s one or two in there I haven’t seen before. Isobel is already quite a Star Trek fan, so she’s excited to watch them, too. I watched the first couple episodes yesterday and made several observations: 1. I think Riker just said, “liberry” 2. Man, Picard is kind of a dick in the first episode 3. All the other main characters start off super emo 4. I’m glad the studio invests in some more lights as the series progresses.
– My bestie is having a Mad Hatter Tea Party birthday and I have been having fun putting together a thrifted outfit and making my own spring-inspired fascinator. I’m lending her a ton of fancy vintage porcelain teacups for the party that will later end up in the shop. I love theme parties!
Little Big Links:
– My friend Sunday‘s art is featured on Monster by Mail! If you haven’t heard of MbM, let me sum up: You name the monster, and she draws it. Feast your eyes on My Teenage Son is Killing Me Slowly Like Cancer, Apex Predator, or Punk Rock Flea. Basically, you can hire her to create a custom piece of commissioned artwork. I really want to do this, but I can’t decide between Wayward Bear or Thrift Store Creeper.
- Gorgeous thrifted scarf I bought in Citrus Heights.
- Pulled Pork Pizza: and then I died.
- Desert Stargazing Ninja.
- Current favorite sandwich.
- Brushing the Fox’s tail so he doesn’t get butt dreds like Zorro.
- Best napper in the house.
- Girlfriend loves her noodles.
- Wings and bunny ears: a typical Tuesday.
- Loving her Easy Chopsticks.
How is the weather right now?
Freaking gorgeous. Mid-sixties, early seventies. Sunny and bright. Completely disturbing since winter never really set in and it has felt like spring since January. We need water for our crops. It’s unsettling.
Are you usually late, early or right on time?
I was going to say “right on time” but if you ask my friends, they might say I’m, uh, not as punctual as I think I am.
What’s your middle name?
Anne, but my family has always called me “Carrie Anne,” as if they’d intended for that to be my full name. When I got married I took Anthony’s last name because my first name was already two words long and I didn’t want to double that by adding a hyphenated last name.
Do you have a question for me? I’d love to answer it! You can leave your question in the comments, @-reply me on twitter, email it to me at email@example.com or send me a messenger pigeon. Don’t do the last one, though. My cat will eat it.