We are big Halloween fans over here, Isobel especially, as you can probably tell from the photo of Isobel trying to kiss a skull. She was two in this photo and her love for all things Halloween has grown. Over the weekend she found a stuffed mummy toy that had been tucked away in our autumnal storage containers, probably given to us by a thoughtful Grandma before being forgetfully dispatched between porcelain pumpkins and fake leaf garlands. Isobel quickly named it “Halloweenie” and it’s currently her favorite thing in the world, right next to every Pikachu in existence, of course. And then there’s Pumpkiny, her sacred pumpkin that she grew in our garden that is now, literally, a husk of its former self thanks to being left in the dessicatingly hot garage for a few days. Halloween has been on our minds lately, and so what better way to celebrate than by making a special playlist.
I’m calling this playlist “Halloweenish” because none of the songs are really about Halloween, nor are they the sort of creepy anthems you’d typically play to set a spooky mood. This list is just for fun. I think you’ll see what I mean when you take a listen. It has thirteen tracks, of course.
Aside from being loosely connected under an umbrella of Halloweenishness the only thing these songs have in common is that I love them. They are a pretty disparate bunch but I think they work well together despite this. Unlike my previous adult playlists, My Beat Is Correct and the anti-Valentine list for the Hallmark fatigued, this one doesn’t come with a NSFW warning. I think Tori Amos slips one quiet instance of the b-word in Happy Phantom, but that’s about it. If I’ve made a grave error, please email and let me know so I can update! But I really think we’re safe. (Though Bjork’s video for Pagan Poetry features nudity so you might want to minimize.)
1. My Doorbell – White Stripes. Doorbells are an important part of this holiday.
2. Alive (Nightmare) – Kid Cudi feat. Ratatat. Team Jacob? No, Team Cudi.
3. Evil – Ladytron. For your pleasure. At your leisure. Use your evil. When you want.
4. Satin in a Coffin – Modest Mouse. Boy, I sure hope you are dead.
5. Devil’s Haircut – Beck. I’ll have what Richard’s having.
6. Ghost – Neutral Milk Hotel. Go listen to some Neutral Milk Hotel you fucking hipster. (Funny story.)
7. Ring of Fire – Johnny Cash. Someone once wrote a paper convinced Cash was using Ring of Fire as a metaphor for Dante’s Inferno, so now I think of that every time I hear this song.
8. Happy Phantom – Tori Amos. If I die today I’ll be the happy phantom.
9. No. 13 Baby – The Pixies. Thirteen, natch.
10. Pagan Poetry – Bjork. This song always moves me.
11. Mr Crowley – Cardigans. This version is absolutely stunning.
12. Sugar Water – Cibo Matto. What’s Halloween without sugar?
13. Hell and Back – The Airborne Toxic Event. Hell is really busy this time of year. Maybe hit it up in the off-season.
Please enjoy this playlist and let me know how you like it. There is nothing so wonderful as sharing music.