– Isobel has been telling me for awhile that she has two career paths ahead of her: a safe one and an unsafe one. The safe one is Pokemon Trainer, and the unsafe one is Hero. She also wants to be a Science Mommy, which is what she assumes I am (and no one better tell her different). Lately, though, she’s been telling me that maybe she won’t be a hero because of all the danger, so she’ll stick to Pokemon Trainer and scientist instead. She really wants to use science to build a home in a hollowed-out tree so our family can live there, so I think it’s time I start reading My Side of the Mountain to her.
– Probably this isn’t news to anyone, but Drunk History is awesome. They have one or two seasons on Hulu and I’ve watched them all multiple times. It is hilarious and educational, too–probably my favorite combo. We don’t have TV other than Netflix and Hulu (due to being broke as opposed to being virtuous or moral), so I didn’t learn about this series until recently, and I would like to declare my undying love.
– Elias’ sedentary days are numbered, as he is using all of his babby powers to attempt to crawl. Sometimes he tries so hard he even uses his face which does not look comfortable at all. He’s getting pretty good at rotating his body in a circle and ending up several feet away from places I’ve set him down originally. Sometimes in his effort to propel himself forward he ends up lifting his legs, arms, and head in such a way that he resembles a skydiver whooshing through the air.
– Our sweet but spastic cat Poppy hasn’t adjusted to Elias’ arrival at all and has taken to showing her displeasure by urinating over anything and everything she can that belongs to him. The Bumbo. The baby bathtub. The (sigh) Ergo. The (SIGH) carseat. It’s gotten out of hand, so we’ve had to transition her to being an outside-only cat. It breaks my heart to do this but we can’t tolerate this behavior. She’s unhappy and she’s making everyone else unhappy, too. If she isn’t happy as an outside cat, either, we’ll start looking to re-home her, but I hope it doesn’t come to that. Ultimately, we as a family and Poppy herself both deserve happiness so something has to change.
– Elias’ hair unfurl into delicious black curls whenever it gets wet. It delights me to no end as Anthony and I both have pin-straight hair and I never thought I’d have a baby with curls. My Mom told me the other day that her brother, my Uncle Bob, had gorgeous blonde curls as a baby but lost them when he had his first haircut. So I hope we can all agree that I am never cutting Elias’ hair.
– Anthony is really loving his job. We still aren’t where we need to be financially, but we’ll get there. He works with his friends and loves the challenge of working with technology. The company he works for was started by our good friend Danny and could technically be considered a start up but seeing as how it’s been around for over ten years and has only grown in that time it doesn’t carry a lot of the risks that I think of when I think “start up.” It’s difficult to start all the way over in a new career but Anthony has really embraced the challenge is is working on getting some certificates that will allow him to do and earn more. He’s gone a few nights a week to study and is constantly busy, but it’s a good busy.
– I sometimes like to have Star Trek:TNG on in the background while I’m folding laundry or writing posts. It’s soothing and I’m so familiar I can watch it with only half my brain while the other half kid-wrangles or does chores and I don’t miss a thing. Isobel watches it with me, of course, and at one point she pointed at Dr Crusher and said, “Who’s that?” I replied, “That’s Beverly!” Isobel sighed with frustration and said, “Can I just call her ‘Susan?’ It’s easier for me to remember.”
– Isobel has always loved to make books and she’s made a few already. It turns out that making books is going to be a big part of her Kindergarten curriculum so she’s pretty thrilled. She brought her first book home on Friday and has read it to each member of the family, plus each cat, multiple times. After that we spent the whole rest of the day making books until bedtime. I feel so lucky to have a kid who loves to craft with me!
Follow Friday: Fall is Coming. And I cannot wait! Mostly because it’s hot as balls and we don’t have central AC. These tweets are the bomb-diggity.
Thrift Store Gore: Workplace Finds. Impress your coworkers and get noticed by the boss! If found a mug with a butt on it.
Snapshot 08.27.14. The only thing that will make me feel better is a ride on a unicorn, okay?
Little Big Kitchen: Preserving Green Onion Tops. Keep them fresh and delicious in the fridge.
Little Big Collection: Modern Vintage Swedish. Thrifted Scandinavian gorgeousness.
Follow Friday: Kite Party. That was such a great party, and these are some fabulous tweets.
Hello Kitty is not a cat. Everything you know is a lie. I wish they would have remained mysteriously ambiguous about it.
You might see a better photo of a woman and an amphibian today, but it’s doubtful. (You aren’t going to. You just aren’t.)
What would the Buzzfeed post about you be called? Mine is, “The Lovely Expectation Vs. The Heroic Realities of Being Friends With Little Big.” Thanks, heroes, for being my friend! It’s very good of you. Via
Pip wondered whether anyone would realise that his impressive bulge was actually a pair of rolled up socks. My new favorite twitter account.
Making sure you know that Kevin Sorbo once yelled a parenthetical script note while shooting Hercules and it made it on air. THE BEST. I’m now going to shout DISAPPOINTED! whenever the hell I feel it. Via @GerryDuggan
A Four Year Old Reviews The French Laundry. Pretty jealous of a preschooler right now.
Hello, stranger on the street. Could you please tell me how to take care of my baby? Not a new article, but new to me! Thanks, Ellen. :)
Auto-Correct & The Language of the Future. This has always been entertaining.
Thrifted Home Tour: The Closet. No skeletons there FYI.
Follow Friday. Back before they had names.
DIY Closet Dividers. I love these things.
Weekend Update. Baby Poppy and Baby Jupey were so adorable. What happened?