– Next door to us lives a family with a little girl just slightly older than Isobel. She is very chatty and knocks on our door about once a day. Sometimes she’ll come over even if her parents say she can’t play, just to, you know, let us know she can’t play. She really enjoys having conversations with Anthony and I and man this girl is a talker. One day she came over with a notebook and a pink gel pen in hand. At the top of the paper she had drawn some triangles, and on the middle of a line she had carefully drawn an uppercase “Y.” She told me that she wanted to write a story so she had asked her older brother how to spell “Jacob Marley’s Ghost.” She was very confused because all he said was the letter “Y” and then walked away. Later I told Antony and we laughed until we cried.
– Sometimes Isobel doesn’t want her picture taken because she feels shy or because she doesn’t want to stop what she’s doing. She will say, “I am not in a picture attitude.” I respect this. There are plenty of times when she is in a picture attitude and I’ll take a bunch to make up for lost time. I want to keep photographs a fun activity for her, and so far, it’s working. Her brother, on the other hand, poor dude doesn’t have a choice. He is photographed constantly.
– I hope the general sweetness of his disposition translates in the photographs I take. He is easygoing, full of smiles and chortles, and quite the charmer. As long as he’s fed and comfortable, he’s content, provided he gets enough cuddles.
– My new (to me) camera has arrived and I’m shooting the hell out of things around here. I still have quite a few photos saved up to post from my old camera, but that’s not going to stop me from posting new ones, too. I’m so excited and grateful I was able to find a used camera so cheaply on eBay. Also grateful to have friends in the profession to help a girl out. Thanks, darlin’!
– Anthony caught Isobel’s flu (she says “floop”) and spent the tail end of Father’s Day and the beginning of the week in man cold misery. We had a good Father’s Day despite this. Anthony played plenty of video games, we took my Dad out for Mexican food, and we played more video games. It was pretty low-key since he wasn’t feeling well. Isobel made him a collection of shooting star drawings and had me write a dedication to him on one of them. She spent much of the day shouting, “Happy birthday, Father’s Day!” and didn’t pay us any mind when we tried to correct her.
– We bought a Swiffer Mop Thing the other day, and Isobel became enamored with it. She spent nearly an hour using it in the kitchen and when she was done the floor shined and sparkled like the top of Jean Luc Picard’s head. It was glorious. But she wasn’t done there. She decided to take the cardboard wrapping the box had come in and use it for crafts. “I’m recycling!” she shouted while taping the packaging together to resemble airplanes and shovels and other unidentifiable things. Pretty much all she did that afternoon was play with that mop and the packaging it came in, if you are looking for suggestions on what to get her for Christmas.
– We celebrated my cousin completing her PhD by having a surprise party for her over the weekend. We somehow all managed to keep news of the party all to ourselves despite many of us knowing for over a month and seeing her often. We are all so proud.
Follow Friday: Summer Pond. Hilarious tweets and pretty pictures.
Snapshot 06.11.14. Partying hard, my expert parenting advice, and my new-to-me camera.
Instagram Auction for #teamdahlia. We raised a tidy sum for a worthy cause. Thank you!
My Unruly Garden: One Free Garden Set Up. A coupon for one free garden.
Scrapbook: Home Life. Ten photos of home.
Little Big Collections: Phone Cases. A special edition of Little Big Bazaar devoted to collections of awesome.
Bill Murry invites himself to couple’s engagement photo session. He is a national treasure. The tippy top, my friends.
Give Forward for Hugo Canada. Hugo the sweet one year old son of Marianne, a friend of mine. He was recently diagnosed with cancer. Every size gift helps.
Dear guy who just made my burrito, have you ever been to earth? This man is very angry about a burrito (and also very funny).
Scrapbook: Animal House. Kingston would make a wonderful velociraptor.
From Robots, With Love. I make fun of my spam comments.
My Unruly Garden: What the Hell is a Pergola. We emulate 1978 hipsters.
Follow Friday: Have Some iPhone Photos. Phone photos, hilarious tweets.
Reuse Roundup: Cloth Cleaning Rags. I pretty much just use paper towels to drain bacon.
Thrift Store Score: Cloth Napkins. Still one of my favorite things to shop for.