– While Anthony was recovering from his ordeal he decided to take a break from watching terrible documentaries and switch to a viewing of The Hobbit instead. Anthony fell asleep almost immediately but Isobel became entranced and wanted to know all about the little creatures called “Hobbits.”I told her they were short, smaller than most all people, had lovely curly hair and loved to go barefoot. “Mama!” she exclaimed, “There was a girl in my swimming class last year who was a Hobbit, too!” She was riveted up until the scene where they get to Rivendell because there was too much dialog and not enough Dwarves to keep her attention. She loves the Dwarves, especially the dishes scene. She really liked Gandalf, too, though she refers to him as either “Grandpadalf” or “Gandolphin.”
– I’ve had a lot of people suggest baby names to us, especially now that we know we’re having a boy, but we’ve actually had a boy’s name all ready to go since before we knew Isobel was a girl and when she still largely went by “Peanut.” And, I’m sorry, Scott and Justy, but it’s probably not “Pizzasuarus Rex.”
– I know it’s fashionable to complain there’s not any good decor or clothes options for little boys, but I’m a thrift store shopper, so I don’t have that problem. In a single day of thrifting I can find more than enough treasures to outfit a nursery. My trouble will be narrowing my selection down to just my favorite items. I don’t say this to brag but to encourage — great stuff is out there for everyone to find! Don’t limit yourself to retail.
– One of the cats has fleas. I naturally assumed it was Skippy, our foster kitten, because he was born on the streets and we haven’t had this problem before. But seeing as how he is as white as my pasty legs in winter and we haven’t found a single flea on him, this is looking less likely. Add to this the fact that Skippy sleeps all over Anthony and I am the only who’s gotten bit it seems like perhaps Squirrelly might be the culprit. She spends lots of time outside and demands snuggle time only from me. This is very annoying but fortunately very treatable. I haven’t been this covered in flea bites since growing up, when we all had flea bites constantly and it was just a way of life. It wasn’t even a big deal to us. Back then the only options for treating fleas were those awful hard plastic collars, flea powder or a flea dip, or a whole-house flea bomb. All the cats continually wore flea collars but it wasn’t enough. Flea dips were expensive and dangerous so my mom couldn’t do them all the time, and she didn’t like using flea powder since my sister and I were constantly snuggling the cats. Flea bombs essentially amounted to coating the house in poisonous gas (not a fantastic option) and was a pain in the ass because she had to get all the humans and cats out of the house for hours. I remember it being done at least once a year or so. As an adult I look back on her struggle against fleas as heroic. All I have to do is buy some flea drops.
– Skippy has finally accepted the fact that Zorro does not want to be nursed but this hasn’t dampened Skippy’s desire to become BFFs with the big guy. He’ll wait until Zorro is sleeping and then, very quietly, will sneak up to him and cuddle his butt. It’s pretty adorable. I’m glad Zorro is such a tolerant lumpus.
– I have finally started to be able to feel the baby’s movements on the outside of my belly. He decides to nap whenever Isobel or Anthony put their hands on my belly, of course, but I’ve clearly felt him and it’s only a matter of time.
Scrapbook: I’m having a Unicorn! So exciting to finally know the sex of Smalls.
Sponsor Spotlight: Little Big Bazaar. The best of Little Big sponsors, affiliates, friends, and more.
Follow Friday: Hunting Acorns. Photos from a fall tradition plus the best tweets of the week.
Snapshot 11.06.13. Mostly pretty awful news.
We can sell tickets to the crazy show. Anthony gets an ambulance ride and some pretty sweet hallucinations.
Scrapbook: Planting Fall Flowers with Isobel. Finally, a post where no one appears to be dying.
The Big History Project is free and open to anyone online. Explore 13.7 billion years of shared history.
Map of US according to geographically-challenged Australian. My favorite state is prob “Rectangle.”
Ten cats famous for their awesome fur markings. I luff them all. Via feline fur expert Ellen.
Ten simple things to make you happier, as backed by science. Most articles like this are fluff. Say hello to science.
The Pixel Painter. This 98 year old man spent 13 years creating works of art with MS Paint.
The Dragon Bjorn. Where can I register for this?
Mexicoke is staying in the US, for now. Thank the Sweet Baby Picard Jesus.
Library App Roundup. Apps to help you find and use a library near you.
Snapshot 11.30.13. Very important post about turkey and other things.
Scrapbook: Welcome to My Life. This is still what it’s like, folks.
DIY Nail Polish Hair Clips. It’s been a year and ours are still going strong.