– In Terrible News, this happened, resulting in Anthony’s first trip to the ER via ambulance. He is at home and recovering well, spending much of his time visiting with friends and watching ridiculously awful conspiracy theory documentaries. I have learned more about Atlantis in the last three days than I ever have in my life.
– I like to call my Mom the Cat Whisperer because she has spent much of her life working tirelessly to rescue and find homes for abandoned cats. She even became a registered cat colony caretaker with our city and has adopted the strays that live near the homeless shelter downtown. There used to be an AA Chapter located over there that my Dad went to, but that since moved to another location. Even so, my mom goes to feed those cats every night and regularly works with the animal shelter to trap, spay or neuter, and release the older, feral animals that aren’t adoptable to help keep the population in check. Last week she trapped a young kitten, four or five weeks old, white, fluffy, and as cute as can be and marked him as a perfect candidate for adoption. He was dirty, malnourished and terrified when she showed up on my doorstep with him in a cat cage, and we agreed that I would foster him and get him healthy and socialized while she looked for his new home. I have had little experience removing cats from their cages and once I finally figured out how it worked the kitten had scurried behind the metal plating to an area that was hard to see. I reached in after him but since I didn’t have a good view I had to guess where I was grabbing him. For the record, always go for the back of the neck. I grasped him more around the side than the back and hit bit me several times, really, really hard. I ended up having toss him in my Mom’s lap once he let go so I could run to the bathroom and stop the bleeding. We named him Skippy and Isobel is in goo-goo hearts love with him. We’ve made it a point to let her know that he might only be here a few days, and that he will join a new family soon. She seems okay with this so far, but I am not so sure how things will work out. She loves him so much that poor cat wouldn’t get a moment’s peace if I didn’t institute nap times and unmolested feeding time rules. I have found him with his little head sticking out of her unzipped bee pack pack while she wanders around the living room and she’s been earnestly trying to teach him all the skills he will need to know as an adult cat. So far I’ve heard, “Sit down, handsome!” several times a day and when she’s not carting him around she likes to read him stories. Despite trying to murder me when we first met he as warmed to me considerably, and it’s pretty hilarious to watch him slowly slide down my belly when he comes to me for a cuddle.
– In Other Terrible News, something happened after our flawless server creation to one of our storage drives. Namely, the T drive, also known as The Drive I Have Stored Every Photo On Ever. We have been customers of Carbonite for quite a while but I’m a little worried that there will still be some photo loss. This is pretty devastating to me, so hopefully we can find away to get everything back. Of course, I have several posts’ worth of photos on that damn drive, so this is super inconvenient as well as being terrible. Computer problems are just balls, and I suggest everyone have a competent backup system in place.
– Isobel has discovered camera junior, my old canon point-and-shoot, and has become fond of taking pictures of all the things she sees me taking photos of–food, people, the cats, flowers. It’s pretty hilarious. If I ever find the cord I’m going to upload them to see what she’s captured. She does need to work on her technique, though, because when people come over she simply walks over to them, puts the camera about a foot away from their faces and snaps a photo, flash and all. I’m worried all our friends will go blind.
– Halloween was fantastic. The night of we chased Isobel and her cousins on Anthony’s side all over Jewel’s neighborhood. She was “Pink Spiderman Girl” and she loved every second of it. The day after Anthony and I went to an awesome costume party at my friend Scott’s house. Anthony revived his DS9 Engineer costume and I took advantage of my knocked-up state to go as pregnant Counselor Deanna Troi from that one episode where she is impregnated by an alien ball of light and has a child and then they never mention it again. It was so fun and I was even complimented by the goddess Marina Sirtis herself.
We Can Sell Tickets To The Crazy Show. Oh 2013, you are making it a point to suck as much as possible.
Thrifted Maternity Closet: Week 19. I continue to get huge and find thrifted clothes to wear.
Scrapbook: Planting Fall Flowers with Isobel. She loves to garden.
Sponsor Spotlight: Little Big Bazaar. These are a few of my favorite things.
Follow Friday: Estate Sale. Photos from my favorite estate sale and the week’s best tweets.
Scrapbook: That Time of Year Again. Pumpkin hunting and a kind stranger.
Snapshot 10.30.13. Making the most of his period of unemployment.
Recipe: Butternut Squash or Pumpkin Autumn Risotto. One of my favorite foods ever on planet earth.
Mexican Coke might switch from cane sugar to save money. NOOOOOOOOOO!
Yo Gabba Gabba Live FAQ: Your Questions & Answers. Isobel and I went with my cousin Liz and her daughter. Her coworker had won tickets and thought maybe YGG was a Mexican band. We had a great time!
Thrift Store Score: Toysplosion, Part II. This was before we set her big girl room up. Funnily enough, we still have a Toysplosion in our house.
Thrift Store Gore: White Elephant Exchange. Going to a white elephant gift exchange? I can help.
Recipe: Thanksgiving Cornbread Stuffing. I mainly added this recipe for me, because I kept forgetting how I did it year after year.