– We are still limping along at only partial computer capacity and it is driving me crazy. I have several projects I need to finish plus all the stuff I post here. I cannot wait until our computer is fixed and finally returned to us.
– Anthony and I are tackling some major home improvement projects (well, the cheap ones, anyway) since he is home and the first room we’ve been working on is the library. We’ve donated about six medium-sized cardboard boxes overflowing with books and we still have hardly any room on our shelves. It’s a wonderful problem to have. There is nothing quite so wonderful to a pregnant lady as organizing and redecorating things, and having your husband as a willing participant is practically an act of foreplay. When we’re all done with the library I’ll post photos. I don’t think I ever formally included the room in our Thrifted Home Tour, anyway.
– Isobel’s two latest obsessions are the Flower Fairy books by C M Barker from my childhood (I am guilty of encouraging this obsession) and Batman. She’s extremely fascinated by super heroes in general but the camp-fest that is the 1966 Batman movie starring Adam West is just about the best thing that’s ever happened according to her. (It’s on Netflix, if you’re interested.) Anthony and I have seen it several times now because Isobel wants to watch it every other day or so and we’ve been reporting our favorite parts to each other. Anthony loves that the henchmen in this movie are Random Pirates, and I love that at one point Batman pulls the Batmoblie into Bruce Wayne’s reserved parking. We both love that Alfred’s disguise consists of him in his regular clothes but wearing a mask under his horn-rimmed glasses. Here’s a video of the two of us (Isobel and I, that is–I didn’t ask if Anthony wanted to participate) singing the bat song.
– This week was full of surprises. First off, I received two lovely handmade jars of sugar scrub from
@sarcasmically. It’s like she can tell, all the way from Florida, that my heels need scrubbing (they definitely do). Then on Monday we received not one but two special packages for Isobel from @WinterLightHome and @han_nahj . The gift from Winter included a lovely mask, a collection of vintage buttons, and a lovely thrifted bracelet. Hannah, appreciating Isobel’s deep and abiding love of squirrels, sent her presents from her hometown of Kent, which is known for their abundance of striking black squirrels. She sent us a squirrel shirt, which Isobel donned post haste, an adorable black squirrel finger puppet, and to Isobel’s excitement, a gift bag with a squirrel on it. You internet peeps sure do spoil us. Thank you so much!
– My poor garden did not survive the first trimester of my pregnancy, and aside from a few tomato plants that insisted on producing tomatoes like crazy it looks like a weedy vacant lot back there. We were lucky enough to get early harvests of peas, onions, herbs, garlic, and sunflower seeds, but my baby pumpkin patch is destroyed. And so is the lawn. By the way, I am over lawns forever. Whatever we end up doing with our yard, I have no further interest in grass.
– Be sure to enter our baby betting pool! The winner may or may not win their face on a onesie. You can also suggest names for us to consider. The one that’s winning by a mile with my friends so far is “Pizzasaurus Rex.” Really hoping a Kardashian doesn’t get to that one first.
– This last weekend we went to a neighboring town’s Family & Farm Festival and had a great time. A pirate by the name of Captain Jack Spareribs performed and Isobel loved it. We then went home and played Pirate Legos.
Little Big Kitchen: Sliders Barbecue Potluck. No one can eat just one.
Snapshot 9.11.13. We ate a dinosaur.
Technical Difficulties. Computer problems are a pain in the ass.
Follow Friday: Cinco de Mayo. The week’s best tweets plus photographs of the cutest people ever.
Sponsor Spotlight: Little Big Bazaar. A few of my favorite things.
Scrapbook: Home Life. Ten photos of home.
Thrifted Maternity Closet: Week 11. I’ll take your grandpa’s clothes. I’ll look incredible.
Ronald McDonald: Horror Clown. OMFG, he is straight out of the uncanny valley.
GOAT CAM! So Sarcasmically alerted me to the miracle of nature that is the Goat Cam and we mutually decided that there needs to be a service that alerts you when the goats do something special. It would be called Totes Goats and as a tie-in product they would make reusable grocery bags called Totes Goats Goat Totes. Anyway: GOAT CAM.
Exercise reorganizes the brain. Exercise is pretty much a cure-all. Dammit.
Unimpressed cats. My new favorite tumblr.
Star Chart, a Nifty & Free Astronomy App. This app uses augmented reality, which is fun to even say.
Commercial Jet Pack is scheduled to arrive next year. So many very wealthy, very drunk people are going to get very, very hurt with this.
Hunger Games covers as seen from around the world. Not surprisingly, my favorite is the same as
@catagator‘s: the Deviant Art versions in the style of 1960s YA titles. Basically all my favorite books that I grew up with, and then again as the Librarian in the School Library that Time Forgot, looked like this. My love for books with these covers isn’t even ironic or simply nostalgic. It is deep and pure.
Awful Library Books: Dancing With Cats. How is this a book an not an SNL skit (one of the actually funny ones)? PS, if you like Thrift Store Gore then you need to follow this blog ASAP. Via
“Y U No Read Tolkien, Bitches?” It starts out: “I mean, I guess I get it. Tolkien is your stereotypical swords and horses fantasy, yeah? [yawn] WRONG, MOTHERFUCKERS!” and it only gets better from there. Via
Take photos of your kids before heading into crowds. This is one of the best tips I’ve heard in awhile. Not only will the photo be up-to-the-minute current, but you will also capture their outfit and hairstyle for that day.
STOP EVERYTHING AT ONCE AN OTTER WANTS TO SHOW YOU ITS BABY. Gah my heart gah gah gah
Days of the Week Outfit Tags. I love how this is suggested for kids returning to school. I would have totally used this back when I still worked 9-5. I always had to plan my outfits in advance because 6 a.m. was too early for me to make decisions.
Isobel’s Thrifted Closet: Breezy Shirt & Summer Skirt. This is a gratuitous heart sunglasses post.
Recipe: Happiness Soup. If you have a harvest of yellow squash coming in, I can think of no better use for it.
Scrapbook: Visiting Jake & Ben. I kind of love Sacramento a lot. (I love Jake & Ben, too.)
Reuse Roundup: Nippers! DIY Catnip Toys. The best catnip toys.
I answer a reader question once a month. Do you have a question for me? I’d love to answer it! If it’s a short one I’ll answer it here. If it’s more complicated, I’ll give it its own post. You can leave your question in the comments, @-reply me on twitter, email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or send me a messenger pigeon. Don’t actually do the last one, though. My cat will eat it. Be sure to let me know if you want me to include your name and link to your blog or shop. Anonymous questions are fine, too.