– We’re still hanging in there even though life has been so stressful. I’ve been having lots of ups and downs and dealing with the anxiety and depression a situation like ours inevitably causes. I can’t afford to see a therapist any more but I’m trying to hold on to the things I learned while there. I’m also venting regularly by sending crabby texts to sympathetic friends. Sometimes I lack all motivation at all, sometimes I feel weirdly detached from life, and sometimes I soldier on. I appreciate all your texts, tweets, and emails. It really means a lot to me that so many people would reach out to us and be so kind.
– As you may have noticed I’ve been working on redesigning Little Big. Nothing major, just a little “freshening up” as my friend Jenn says. I don’t think I’m quite done yet but I really like how it’s coming along.
– Isobel has been into making us “snacks” lately. Mostly her version of a popsicle (usually a frozen plum on a toothpick or a popsicle mold filled with cherry tomatoes) and what she calls a salad, which is usually bits of celery and pickle. It’s so cute that she likes to imitate me but this means I occasionally find zippy bags full of putrid fruit in unexpected places that she was “saving for later.”
– We had so much fun at the fair last week went went again. Twice! We’re fair junkies, addicted to fried food and sunstroke, apparently. Aside from our yearly trip with the Waltons we went with family–once with my parents and once with Anthony’s cousins Depeche and Jewel. It was great to spend some time with them and even though it was 102 degrees and I was basically a sentient ball of sweat it was so worth it to see Isobel and Jewel together. My parents were kind enough to purchase our tickets for our trip with them and Depeche had a couple extra tickets as well, so we were able to go on the cheap. Isobel was interested in the exhibits this year, particularly because she recognized the stuff on display that we grow in our garden. She liked seeing all the artwork, too. I hope she maintains this enthusiasm for next year because I’d love for her to see stuff from our garden or her own artwork on display.
– Isobel is really into art again. A year or so ago she was into watercolor painting non-stop, but now she’s into crayons and markers. She’s obsessed with the idea of going on an adventure on her own so she draws lots of maps for her to take with her, and also a lot of space scenes. She likes to draw pictures of the planets she wants to visit. She’s even drawn herself, wearing a backpack and a pink rain coat, in the middle of an adventure.
– We’ve been spending lots of time with family and Isobel and her cousin Jewel’s favorite thing to do is play pretend. Typically Jewel pretends to be a princess while Isobel pretends to be a hero. I know she won’t always prefer the hero to the princess, but I love there are times when she does. Being a princess is often overrated. Being a hero is always awesome.
– Mollie Katzen likes me for some reason, so I can die happy.
Scrapbook: Home Life, Summer. In the thick of it.
Little Big Links: Party Time. Party time. Excellent.
Recipe: Rebaked Potatoes. Mollie’s classic recipe with my updates.
Follow Friday: Butterfly land. A magical place.
Brazilian School Kids Have Been Learning English By Correcting Celebrities’ Grammar On Twitter. This is so wonderful. Via one of my favorite teachers, my friend Ellen.
The Best Bear Safety Report You Will Ever Watch. This reporter is obviously a method actor. Via my favorite method actor, my friend Ellen.
21 pictures that will restore your faith in humanity. Thanks for making me cry all over the place, Laura.
Logo Design Gone Wrong. Oh, man.
LARP TREK: And a looooooong jacket. The premise of this webcomic is that the crew of the Enterprise try their hand at role-playing a DS9 episode. I was just discussing this episode on twitter, calling it the Worst DS9 Episode Ever, before I remember that the Real Worst DS9 Episode Ever is the one where Mollie O’Brien becomes feral for like 20 minutes. I would rather watch the infamous Grandma’s Sex Candle episode of TNG over Mollie Goes Ape any day. If you are a Star Trek fan you need this comic in your life.
Parenting is the definition of Stockholm Syndrome. Brilliant. Also, owning a cat.
Snapshot 7.25.12. We realize that Anthony is on a government watch list.
Recipe: Deep Fried Squash Blossoms. My favorite way to eat flowers.
Thrifted Home Tour: Pirate Bathroom. Argh, Mateys! We’ve a nautical head.
Scrapbook: Library Story Time. One of Isobel’s favorite things ever.
I answer a reader question once a month. Do you have a question for me? I’d love to answer it! If it’s a short one I’ll answer it here. If it’s more complicated, I’ll give it its own post. You can leave your question in the comments, @-reply me on twitter, email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or send me a messenger pigeon. Don’t actually do the last one, though. My cat will eat it. Be sure to let me know if you want me to include your name and link to your blog or shop. Anonymous questions are fine, too.