– Anthony is down to his last few days of work and we are hanging in there. Thank you so much for all the nice letters, emails, and even in a few cases, presents(!) that you have showered upon us lately. We’ve really needed those good vibes to keep motivated and I feel like we have a whole cheering section behind us with family and friends and long distance friends we’ve never even met before encouraging us t0 keep going. Anthony and I have both experienced many ups and downs throughout this whole process, and some of the lows have been really low. But we have great momentum and a plan and we’re going to go from here. I can’t really say much specifically, other than Anthony has had several interviews with several more lined up, and he’s been busting his ass filling out application after application, even after putting in ten hours on the job beforehand.
– The other day Isobel was pretending to cook food for me, and at one point she handed me a teacup and said, “Here is your yummy hot smoothie, Mama!” I need to teach her how smoothies work.
– Last weekend we accompanied my Mom to a family reunion and we got to see copies of my great-grandfather’s marriage certificate, naturalization papers, and engineer’s license. My Grandma had been keeping them safely in her filing cabinet drawers this whole time. While there Isobel got to meet one of her cousins for the first time and then all the kids jumped in the pool, even though no one brought their swimming suits. We could hardly blame them – the reunion was outside and it was 90 degrees in the shade.
– Speaking of hot weather, we endured the winter without a heater after it broke sometime after Halloween. I can’t say we were comfortable but we only had a few hard freezes so we made it through. We dreaded, though, that a broken heater meant a broken air conditioning, and after trying to use it unsuccessfully we’ve officially announced it DOA. It’s already in the mid-80s Fahrenheit inside in the afternoons. This summer is going to be awful.
– We celebrated a quiet Mother’s Day with a dinner with my parents at our place, and it was so nasty hot we moved the whole party outside and ate on the patio. That was lovely, and it was overall a great day, but both of us were pretty preoccupied with job worry.
– Among the plants we’ve been growing in the garden we have a basil plant that’s doing quite well. Isobel has picked up the habit of plucking an emerald leaf from the plant and shoving it in her mouth each time she walks by. My Mom got such a kick out of this she told me that my daughter smells like an Italian–or in other words, delicious.
– Occasionally Mom will tell me about something cute one of our cats did and she will end the story by saying, “You should write about that on a cat blog. I’ve seen them on the internet.”
– My lovely friend Laura sent Isobel this fantastic tutu and the fantastic Jett sent us this gorgeous handmade bedspread, which Isobel confiscated immediately and dubbed “the rainbow blanket.” I’m not sure what Isobel loves more, getting presents (because, let’s face it, that’s up there), or getting mail.
– Last weekend we celebrated a double birthday for friends Melynda and Lupe and Mel made herself a rainbow cake. There was some hand-wringing and worry involved since at first the layers seemed to be dull and brownish, but fortunately that was just part of the crust, because the moment we cut into it a goddamn rainbow came out. It looked fantastic.
– I heard Isobel lamenting to one of her classmates, “I only have four kitties.” Poor, poor thing.
Reuse Roundup: DIY Heart Clip. This was a great clip because it took about five minutes, cost barely anything, and Isobel loves it.
Scrapbook: My Mom. A baby photo of my mother looking absolutely terrified. It’s adorable!
Little Big’s Thrifty Mother’s Day Gift Guide. You don’t need to wait for a holiday for these babies.
Little Big Bazaar: The Best of Little Big Sponsors.
Snapshot 05.30.12 – I’m like Bruce Banner, except my secret is I’m always tired.
Recipe: Sweet Seaweed Popcorn – This is really delicious. You’ll have to trust me.
Scrapbook: Melynda’s DIY Murder Mystery Party – This was lots of fun.
Snapshot 5.23.13 – Last year at this time Anthony had his first surgery.
I answer a reader question once a month. Do you have a question for me? I’d love to answer it! If it’s a short one I’ll answer it here. If it’s more complicated, I’ll give it its own post. You can leave your question in the comments, @-reply me on twitter, email it to me at email@example.com or send me a messenger pigeon. Don’t actually do the last one, though. My cat will eat it. Be sure to let me know if you want me to include your name and link to your blog or shop. Anonymous questions are fine, too.