– The news is there’s no news, which means the probability that we will have to move is looking more and more likely. Anthony’s had a couple job offers but we’re still trying to work out the details and figure out what’s best for our family. My fingers are tipped with painful nubs where the nails should be and my eyes are dry from crying. I should probably end this on a positive note. I am not currently on fire.
– Isobel has started drawing. I’ve been waiting for this with bated breath because children’s drawings are my favorite things in the whole wide world. She’s been drawing suns and jellyfish and flowers and yesterday she even drew a convincing portrait of Zorro.
– My friend Scott had the most wonderful idea for a housewarming party when he turned his driveway into a “cafe” with tables and chairs. His front yard has a weird little platform that we used as a stage. Several people played piano, and if we do it again, I’m tempted to bring my flute. Or Isobel’s accordion.
– This weekend I was at a housewarming party and my friend Stefanie and I finally got the chance to sing Time of My Life together. (This wasn’t actually on my life list, but it should be, so I’m adding it in right now so I can cross it off.) Here’s the thing about that song: I hate it. I really, really hate that song and I always have, and one day Stef and I were talking about songs we absolutely hated when this song came up. We made a pact to sing it together at karaoke sometime, and let me tell you, it was amazing.
– A few of us decided to sing Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap some time afterwards, and it reminded us of Anthony’s step brother, who used to swear the lyrics were thirty thieves and the thunder cheeks.
– When Anthony and I are together, Isobel likes to refer to us as “you two.” As in, “Hey you two! Be quiet over there!” or “What are you two talking about?!”
– I don’t know where she gets it.
– My friends Ellen and Ivan hosted a taco party (not a euphemism) on Cinco de Mayo and we finally got to meet their newest son, Luke. He is so smooshable. Isobel and Kingston spent their time there alternately playing together sweetly (sometimes in a giant box) or being insanely ornery. Ah, don’t you just love this age? Ellen and Ivan made several different types of guacamole and their feta and basil version was so fantastic I’ll have to share the recipe here when I get a chance.
– I’ve been looking at a lot of different property all over to see what housing options we’d have if we were to move. Some realtors really have huge balls in order to post some of the shit-tastic photos I’ve seen. They were lovely listing-worthy. Such as this listing, which inexplicably features a nasty pile of shoes close-up. How many bad decisions did that realtor have to make in order for that photo to be published? S/he had ample time to think to themselves, “Gee, is this a good idea?” and at each turn instead of employing good judgement they thought HOW ABOUT YES!
– My husband’s sister is pregnant with her first child and is due in just twoish weeks. We went to a baby shower the father’s family threw and we had the good fortune to eat some amazing homemade Colombian food, including arrepas with homemade cheese. They may have been a little taken aback by how many of those I was eating. In between bites I should have mumbled, “My family is from Sweden; carbs and cheese are very important to us.” I also ate some lovely nopales and accidentally bit into a jalapeno and then died.
– We had some friends over for piping last week and I got a picture of Isobel and Kingston kissing. Eeeep!
DIY Magnetic Fridge Frames. Honor your refrigerator art.
Scrapbook: Poppy-Colored Dress. Garden times.
In the Garden: Ladybug Q&A with Todd Ugine. Science is awesome.
Little Big Kitchen: Guide To Dried Shiitake Mushrooms. The most important dried shiitake mushroom post you’ll read all year.
BaAka Forest People Play the River Like a Drum. Beautiful.
Conflict Kitchen. A take-out restaurant that only serves cuisine from countries with which the US is in conflict.
Homemade Lemonade Base. This is fantastic idea, especially if you have lemons in your yard.
Balloon Baby. My friend Laura takes the cutest maternity photo sets. She started these when pregnant with her first child, Sonora, and is at it again with baby number two. I am especially excited because she has struggled with infertility right along with me.
Fuck this thing in particular. Sums up my feelings about how things have been going since about January.
Scrapbook: SEO For Gangsters. I am well-respected in the gangster community.
Scrapbook: Classic. Dammit, Anthony.
Foreign Correspondence: Guest Post by Nic Piper. An officer and a gentleman. Except, not an officer.
I answer a reader question once a month. Do you have a question for me? I’d love to answer it! If it’s a short one I’ll answer it here. If it’s more complicated, I’ll give it its own post. You can leave your question in the comments, @-reply me on twitter, email me or send me a messenger pigeon. Don’t actually do the last one, though. My cat will eat it. Be sure to let me know if you want me to include your name and link to your blog or shop. Anonymous questions are fine, too.