– I am still in shock and horror over the events in Boston. I’m doing my best to digest news in five minute bursts and then purposefully disengaging. I became too saturated with news during the tragedy at Newton and I just couldn’t function. I was a crying mess and it deeply distressed Isobel. I feel guilty because for the victims and their families this is their life. There is no avoiding it. My heart goes out to them and all of Boston.
– On a hopeful note: It’s Squirrelly’s birthday! One year ago my husband came upon an abandoned just-born kitten mewling in the dust of a tow yard. She still had her placenta attached as she lay there, blind and helpless, mewling for her mother. It was pure chance that Anthony found her, and it was pure chance that he happened to be close enough to home to be able to bring her to me. I bottled fed her around the clock and she grew into the beautiful fur demon she is today. I’ll have gratuitous baby kitten photos for you tomorrow.
– Do you know what’s awesome? Not having bees in your house. Or wasps. That’s pretty much the worst. For the last four years we’ve been tormented by bees and wasps finding their way into our house as the weather grew warmer. Each year I’d greet the Vernal Equinox with no small amount of terror. All of my past posts on Time Hop right now center around various stinging insects and although I don’t know why they aren’t getting in anymore but I am so grateful. Someone stumbled onto Little Big the other day by searching “bees coming in through vents” and to them I give all the sympathy in the world.
– Isobel is in full-blown “why” mode over here and she has made me go a little crazy on more than one occasion. If she asks a question I don’t know the answer to she’ll shout OH COME ON, MOM, JUST TELL ME!
– Isobel has been doing “thumbs up” for awhile now, and I recently taught her “thumbs down.” When we’re in the backyard gardening I’ll hear her talking to herself and saying, “Poppies, THUMBS UP! Weeds, THUMBS DOWN!” It’s pretty adorable and has gone a long way toward counteracting my urges to eat my own young for asking too many questions.
Recipe: Weeknight Glazed Carrots. When I worked outside the home I made this a few times a week.
Scrapbook: Know Your Garden Plants. We’ve been studying common garden plants.
Scrapbook: Nature Walk. We found thousands of tiny daisies.
Party Time: Isobel’s Fun & Games Birthday. The easiest, cheapest party so far.
Video: How Decorative Candles Are Made. Isobel watched this video twice and then wanted to make candles.
KimKierkegaard. A twitter account that combines Kim Kardashian’s tweets with quotes from Kierkegaard: “Magic Mountain fun today!! Kanye laughing & me crying! The whole of existence frightens me.” Twitter at its finest.
Scrapbook: Blue Teacups Save the Day. Packing up our house, and finding blue teacups.
Your Baby Can READ. My favorite post ever.
Hard-Boiled Detective Story. Technically a cold case at this point.
Snapshot 4.20.13 “Honey? The pacha?”
I answer a reader question once a month. Do you have a question for me? I’d love to answer it! If it’s a short one I’ll answer it here. If it’s more complicated, I’ll give it its own post. You can leave your question in the comments, @-reply me on twitter, email it to me at email@example.com or send me a messenger pigeon. Don’t actually do the last one, though. My cat will eat it. Be sure to let me know if you want me to include your name and link to your blog or shop. Anonymous questions are fine, too.