– You may have noticed a backdated post pop up in your reader yesterday. I’m compiling a page of parties and party-related posts and I couldn’t find last year’s birthday banner photos and that made me crazy so like the completely sane person I am I posted them on Isobel’s third birthday. I thought about just posting them now but since her fourth birthday just passed I thought that would be confusing to post third birthday pictures. Anyway, my crazy aside, the pictures are really cute and the post is short so it you have a moment, check it out.
– Speaking of Isobel’s birthday, her party was last weekend. I may have taken 900 photos. Isobel received a small Everest of toys and I’ve been steadily stashing away as many as I can without arousing her keen toddler suspicions.
– My friend Jenn, saver of my sanity and dark chocolate fiend, stopped by again before leaving town and spent a few hours in the code trenches of my blog helping me figure out how to make some aesthetic changes. She is a saint.
– Each time I drop Isobel off at preschool we go through the same ritual. I sign her in, take her to wash her hands, and before I get my hug and kiss I must take her photo. Because I insisted on snapping her photo before I left on the first day she went to school she now insists I take her photo each time I drop her off. One by one her classmates have asked to join her so each time I leave I photograph Isobel along with about half of her class.
– Anthony, Isobel and I have been rotating through various illnesses for the last several weeks. Everyone is mostly better, except me, who is fighting off the remnants of the stomach virus that Anthony gave me. I think we’ve fulfilled our sickness quota for the next nine months and would like to file a complaint.
– Let it be known that April 6, 2013 was the first time I embarrassed Isobel by simply being her mother. We were at a party supply store picking up a few last minute items when I found a super cool DJ Lance hat. I immediately put it on and handed one to Isobel. “Let’s take a picture wearing these hats!” I said. Isobel’s eyes widened, her brow furrowed, and she shook her head in mute horror. “No!” she whispered. “Fine!” I replied, “Just stand next to me in the picture while I wear the hat!” She backed away from me and whispered “NO!” so loudly her pleas could be heard over the sound of the helium tank. Then I realized it: I was her mom, and I was being so uncool it was embarrassing. This may have been more of a developmental milestone for her than her actual fourth birthday.
Scrapbook: Egg Hunt 2013. Isobel experiences her first bunny ear-related wardrobe malfunction, but that doesn’t stop her from gathering every pink egg she can find.
Scrapbook: Happy Birthday, Pixie! Our yearly tradition.
Thrifted Easter Basket 2013: Keepin’ it Asshole. Some would argue a basket full of thrifted goodness is better than Easter candy. And they would be right.
Recipe: Easter Dinner & Roast Asparagus. My family used to farm asparagus, so it’s kind of our Thing.
- Reuse Roundup: A Linkish Party!
- Playlist: My Beat is Correct
- Thrift Store Score: More Thrifted Toy Kitchen
- I Offer This Video By Way of Apology
- Scrapbook: Isobel’s Kite-Themed Birthday Party
Epitaphs from Oregon Trail. My elementary school computer lab was populated with stat-of-the-art Apple IIes that came equipped with such games as Number Munchers, O’Dell Lake, and the original Oregon Trail.
I answer a reader question once a month. Do you have a question for me? You can leave your question in the comments, @-reply me on twitter, email it to me at email@example.com or send me a messenger pigeon. Don’t actually do the last one, though. My cat will eat it. Be sure to let me know if you want me to include your name and link to your blog or shop. Anonymous questions are fine, too.