Fuck Cancer.

17 Feb

Early this morning, not even a month after receiving his diagnosis, my dear friend Valerie’s husband succumbed to Stage 4 stomach, esophageal, and pancreatic cancer. He died at home, with his family at his side. He leaves behind his wife, their two brilliant, intelligent and creative school-aged children, and an army of friends and family who will miss him terribly.

Words cannot express how devastated we are by this news. He received a clean bill of health after a full physical six months prior to diagnosis. He was only a few years older than I am. Far too young, gone far too soon.

If you are able, I’d like to encourage you to donate $5 to the Serio Family Fund to get them through this rough time. I know the great majority of you do not know this beautiful family, but everyone knows someone whose life has been affected by the tragedy of cancer. I’d ask that, if you can, please donate $5 to this family in honor of someone you know and love, in order to make their struggle in the aftermath of this tragedy a little easier.

Thank you.

40 Responses to “Fuck Cancer.”

1. Leslie February 17, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

I am so sorry for your loss and for your friend’s unimaginable pain and loss. My thoughts and prayers are all I have to offer, so I am sending them your way. Cancer SUCKS.

• Carrie Anne February 18, 2013 at 8:33 am #

We appreciate all of your prayers and good wishes. Thank you.

2. Jenna February 17, 2013 at 8:07 pm #

This is shitty. I’ve given it some thought and I’ve donated five bucks. If you think about it, five bucks is more or less the price of a condolence card. This is more useful.

Usually, five bucks is the cost of a meal for me when I’m on campus. But I’m going to skip it next time and bring a bag of walnuts to school with me. (Btw, “recipe” request? Any suggestions for a meal when you’re going to be out for a full day, can’t store or refrigerate your food, and have no access to heating devices? The only answer I can ever seem to come up with is a trip to Dunkin’ Donuts.)

Anyway. This is shitty. When I was 17, I lost three people to cancer. And two were in the span of a few days. One of those was a classmate, and the other was an uncle (whose funeral I attended on my 18th birthday). So I get how shitty this all fucking is, and how there’s just no damn words for the emotional devastation.

• Carrie Anne February 18, 2013 at 8:33 am #

You beautiful, loving, giving woman, you. Thank you so much.

And I can totally give you ideas.

3. JennyExplainsItAll.blogspot.com February 17, 2013 at 11:29 pm #

I’m so very sorry that your friend has died, and so sorry for his family, too. I also have a beloved friend of many decades who was recently diagnosed with a rare and aggressive lung cancer. He is lucky (and that’s the only word for it) that a new regimen is helping him. He, too, was in excellent health at his last annual physical and at death’s door mere months later. At this time, the new treatment (not a cure) is only expected to help for a year or two and there is nothing new in the pipeline for when it ceases to work. So even as he enjoys some return to “regular life”, barring a miracle, his family and those of us who love him are coming to grips with his inevitable early death.

Again–I’m sorry. It is beyond terrible. Peace be with you.

• Carrie Anne February 18, 2013 at 8:34 am #

Thanks, Jenny.

4. nadja February 18, 2013 at 4:12 am #

Oh man. Man. I’m so sorry. Cancer is the devil.

• Carrie Anne February 18, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Thank you, Nadja.

5. erin b. February 18, 2013 at 5:53 am #

absolutely heartbreaking. i’m so so sorry for your loss. xoxo
    erin b. recently posted..l’amour.My Profile

• Carrie Anne February 18, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Thank you, Erin.

6. BuenoBaby February 18, 2013 at 6:01 am #

That is just devastating. I’m so sorry.
    BuenoBaby recently posted..A South Florida Christmas: As Wrong As A Denim DressMy Profile

• Carrie Anne February 18, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Thank you so much, lady.

7. Salvaged Strawberry February 18, 2013 at 7:16 am #

I am so, so sorry to hear this…Fuck fuck fuck cancer. My heart goes out to all of you…Two of my family members have cancer at this moment (cousin with stage 4 breast cancer and uncle with prostate cancer). I get it. Going to donate now. Big, long, strong hug to you.

• Carrie Anne February 18, 2013 at 8:40 am #

I’m crying. Thank you so, so much for your kind words and your donation. It means so much.

8. K February 18, 2013 at 7:17 am #

I lost my mom to brain cancer when I was eight, and so I’m keeping this family so very close to my heart. Thinking of you too.

I’m so very, very sorry.
    K recently posted..My lovesMy Profile

• Carrie Anne February 18, 2013 at 8:40 am #

That is so devastating, K. I’m sorry. Thank you for your thoughts.

9. TheNextMartha February 18, 2013 at 8:47 am #

I’m really sorry for everyone’s loss.

• Carrie Anne February 18, 2013 at 8:51 am #

Thank you so much.

10. Nyssa Krull February 18, 2013 at 10:10 am #

I’m so sorry, this kind of loss in unimaginable. My family has been riddled with cancer for many years, including my mother when I was young. I’m incredibly lucky that she survived, and can’t imagine what those sweet little ones are going through. I hope $5 helps. I wish I could do more.
    Nyssa Krull recently posted..A Note to My Baby Boy: You’re Two Months Old!My Profile

• Carrie Anne February 19, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

Thank you so much, Nyssa. I really appreciate you taking the time to donate, and I’m so glad you had your mom with you while growing up.

11. Asia February 18, 2013 at 10:55 am #

So sorry for you, your friend, and your circle. What a horrible loss. My grandfather and grandmother both died of cancer as well as a beloved aunt, so I’ll donate in their honor and wish the best for your friend’s family.

• Carrie Anne February 19, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

Thank you so, so much. I really appreciate the donation. Cancer is so awful.

12. Marie February 18, 2013 at 12:12 pm #

Carrie Anne, I am so sorry. I almost feel like I know your friends a little bit after so many years on Flickr and your blog and I know you have such a lovely, close and supportive group there. I hope you can find some strength in each other. Hugs from NZ. x
    Marie recently posted..Sleeping RulesMy Profile

• Carrie Anne February 19, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

Thank you so much, Marie. You probably do know them pretty well, since you’ve been my friend since the beginning of my flickr days. Hugs to you, lady.

13. Amy February 18, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

My deepest sympathies to everyone.
    Amy recently posted..A little of this, a little of that.My Profile

• Carrie Anne February 19, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

Thank you so much, Amy.

14. unrealsnow February 19, 2013 at 8:37 am #

Carrie, I am so sorry. I love you and I’ll be thinking about your friend’s family as well as yours.

*hugs*

• Carrie Anne February 19, 2013 at 5:17 pm #

Thank you so much. Love you too, lady.

15. OT and ET February 19, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

There are no words for how sorry I am for you and your friends’ loss. For his poor, beautiful, wonderful kids. And for how sudden it all came about. It’s all unthinkable. All of it is shit and heartbreaking. xoxo sending so much love.
    OT and ET recently posted..i think i’ll go for a walk outside now…My Profile

• Carrie Anne February 20, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

Thank you so much, lady. I appreciate it.

16. gigi February 20, 2013 at 1:30 am #

What a sad, sad thing. I wish his family and friends all the best. x

• Carrie Anne February 20, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

Thank you, Gigi. xoxo

17. Leah W. February 20, 2013 at 5:14 am #

What horrible news. I’m so incredibly sorry for the loss of such a dear friend and father. My thoughts are with you all.

• Carrie Anne February 20, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

Thank you, Leah.

18. Anne February 20, 2013 at 12:28 pm #

I’ve been trying to come up with something helpful or useful to say here, but nope, got nothin’. Just my feels for you and this family, and everyone who is or has dealt with stupid fucking cancer. Hugs all around.
    Anne recently posted..Sugar and Spice Hat for baby – Custom Made to Order just for you by AnneArchyMy Profile

• Carrie Anne February 20, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

Thanks, Anne. That means a lot. Hugs.

19. Jose Gonzalez February 21, 2013 at 11:45 am #

Blessing and Peace– que en paz descanse.

Made my donation from my art fund because art is to help others.

• Carrie Anne February 21, 2013 at 2:15 pm #

Jose, you are as compassionate and caring as you are talented.

20. jen February 26, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

hello my fellow MOMS club member! i had no idea that you knew the serio family…they are the offspring of my MIL’s best friend. thank you posting this…it is still too fresh in my heart.

• Carrie Anne February 27, 2013 at 7:35 am #

Hi, Jen! I’m so flattered you stopped by. I’ve known Val since high school and consider her a close friend. But I also worked with Carol for a few years and love her, too. Her whole family is wonderful and they simply didn’t deserve to have Jason taken from them. It’s an awful, awful tragedy.