Fuck Cancer.

Early this morning, not even a month after receiving his diagnosis, my dear friend Valerie’s husband succumbed to Stage 4 stomach, esophageal, and pancreatic cancer. He died at home, with his family at his side. He leaves behind his wife, their two brilliant, intelligent and creative school-aged children, and an army of friends and family who will miss him terribly.

Words cannot express how devastated we are by this news. He received a clean bill of health after a full physical six months prior to diagnosis. He was only a few years older than I am. Far too young, gone far too soon.

If you are able, I’d like to encourage you to donate $5 to the Serio Family Fund to get them through this rough time. I know the great majority of you do not know this beautiful family, but everyone knows someone whose life has been affected by the tragedy of cancer. I’d ask that, if you can, please donate $5 to this family in honor of someone you know and love, in order to make their struggle in the aftermath of this tragedy a little easier.

Thank you.

Comments

1. says

I am so sorry for your loss and for your friend’s unimaginable pain and loss. My thoughts and prayers are all I have to offer, so I am sending them your way. Cancer SUCKS.

2. says

This is shitty. I’ve given it some thought and I’ve donated five bucks. If you think about it, five bucks is more or less the price of a condolence card. This is more useful.

Usually, five bucks is the cost of a meal for me when I’m on campus. But I’m going to skip it next time and bring a bag of walnuts to school with me. (Btw, “recipe” request? Any suggestions for a meal when you’re going to be out for a full day, can’t store or refrigerate your food, and have no access to heating devices? The only answer I can ever seem to come up with is a trip to Dunkin’ Donuts.)

Anyway. This is shitty. When I was 17, I lost three people to cancer. And two were in the span of a few days. One of those was a classmate, and the other was an uncle (whose funeral I attended on my 18th birthday). So I get how shitty this all fucking is, and how there’s just no damn words for the emotional devastation.

3. says

I’m so very sorry that your friend has died, and so sorry for his family, too. I also have a beloved friend of many decades who was recently diagnosed with a rare and aggressive lung cancer. He is lucky (and that’s the only word for it) that a new regimen is helping him. He, too, was in excellent health at his last annual physical and at death’s door mere months later. At this time, the new treatment (not a cure) is only expected to help for a year or two and there is nothing new in the pipeline for when it ceases to work. So even as he enjoys some return to “regular life”, barring a miracle, his family and those of us who love him are coming to grips with his inevitable early death.

Again–I’m sorry. It is beyond terrible. Peace be with you.

4. Salvaged Strawberry says

I am so, so sorry to hear this…Fuck fuck fuck cancer. My heart goes out to all of you…Two of my family members have cancer at this moment (cousin with stage 4 breast cancer and uncle with prostate cancer). I get it. Going to donate now. Big, long, strong hug to you.

5. says

I lost my mom to brain cancer when I was eight, and so I’m keeping this family so very close to my heart. Thinking of you too.

I’m so very, very sorry.
    K recently posted..My lovesMy Profile

• Carrie Anne says

Thank you so much, Nyssa. I really appreciate you taking the time to donate, and I’m so glad you had your mom with you while growing up.

6. Asia says

So sorry for you, your friend, and your circle. What a horrible loss. My grandfather and grandmother both died of cancer as well as a beloved aunt, so I’ll donate in their honor and wish the best for your friend’s family.

7. says

Carrie Anne, I am so sorry. I almost feel like I know your friends a little bit after so many years on Flickr and your blog and I know you have such a lovely, close and supportive group there. I hope you can find some strength in each other. Hugs from NZ. x
    Marie recently posted..Sleeping RulesMy Profile

• Carrie Anne says

Thank you so much, Marie. You probably do know them pretty well, since you’ve been my friend since the beginning of my flickr days. Hugs to you, lady.

8. Leah W. says

What horrible news. I’m so incredibly sorry for the loss of such a dear friend and father. My thoughts are with you all.

9. jen says

hello my fellow MOMS club member! i had no idea that you knew the serio family…they are the offspring of my MIL’s best friend. thank you posting this…it is still too fresh in my heart.

• Carrie Anne says

Hi, Jen! I’m so flattered you stopped by. I’ve known Val since high school and consider her a close friend. But I also worked with Carol for a few years and love her, too. Her whole family is wonderful and they simply didn’t deserve to have Jason taken from them. It’s an awful, awful tragedy.

10. arline says

Forgive me, but is your friend by any chance someone who has (or had) a blog about what she was going through? She is a baker and going to school, I think? I was reading her blog for quite a while and had a computer mess-up and lost the link. If this is her, could you provide me with the link back to her blog. She was an xln’t writer and I was following her. Thank you.