Reuse Roundup: Toy Storage (The Saga Never Ends)

31 Jan

One of the most basic facts of life (other than that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife) is that you will never end your battle against your child’s constant stream of clutter. Like a tidal wave of colorful plastic, your child’s toys will consume your life almost from the moment they are born. Even the most minimalist parents I know battle the constant onslaught of blocks, books, stuffed animals, and educational toys on a near-constant basis. I have written about ways I’ve coped with the accoutrements of childhood a few times before, and I’ve come to the conclusion that my struggle to organize my punk pixie’s toys will be as eternal as the sun’s ascent from the east.

With this fact in mind I’m always on the look out for containers or bins or other possible storage opportunities for Isobel’s room. Vintage kitchen canisters are absolutely perfect for this, so if you are looking for toy storage, too, keep an eye out for durable, non-breakable canisters. These old Tupperware ones are great. I love the hits of color they bring to her room and they perfectly store her cache of jewels, necklaces, small stuffed animals and other treasures. I have the lids but they just get in the way of playtime, so I leave them off. Viva la Tupperware!

Reuse Roundup is a segment which features a new and inventive use for thrifted or secondhand goods aside from the ordinary one you’re used to thinking of. If you would like to participate in Reuse Roundup on your blog, please link back to this or any other Reuse Roundup post. I’ve posted the code to use on my blog’s sidebar if you’re into that sort of thing. You can post whenever you like, not just on the days that I do.

9 Responses to “Reuse Roundup: Toy Storage (The Saga Never Ends)”

1. Wendy January 31, 2013 at 7:18 am #

LOVE the Tupperware! My mom had that same exact set. They look gorgeous (yet functional!!) on the shelf.

• Carrie Anne January 31, 2013 at 9:55 am #

My mom had these, too, but in orange in brown. Her kitchen was replete with 1970s glory!

• allisonthemeep January 31, 2013 at 5:54 pm #

We had the weird pale mustard yellow set. My mom still uses them.
        allisonthemeep recently posted..nineMy Profile

• Carrie Anne February 1, 2013 at 10:32 am #

I love it when you find people who are still using their o.g. stuff.

2. Anne February 1, 2013 at 5:40 am #

I had the orange set! Got it when I worked at Goodwill in the 90s. Sadly it didn’t make it into the aughts, but seeing these pics brought it back in my heart.

3. Jenny O February 1, 2013 at 11:43 am #

Love this idea! We really pare down our three year old’s toys and try to stick to only well-made/handmade/educational, but even so it’s a toy-a-lanche in our house. Not only is this a cute idea, but having toys in multiple small containers would eliminate the “I want one or two toys, so I’m going to empty the entire toy box onto the floor to find them”. Maybe. Fingers crossed.

Also, I love you for the P & P reference :D
    Jenny O recently posted..Child's Applique Smock Jumper Vintage 1980s by StrangerBirdVintageMy Profile

• Carrie Anne February 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm #

Anyone who can appreciate a random P&P reference is a friend of mine!

I actually have a thrifted toy storage round up coming up soon, so maybe that will help!