– I’m still feeling the raw wound in my heart from last Friday’s shootings, as I’m sure you are, too. I still feel gutted and sick but eventually I’ll recover and life will go back to usual. For those who lost their child or loved one this Christmas, it won’t. Ever. If anything good can come from such horrific tragedy I’m hoping for it. Mass shootings are all too common, and it’s time we reevaluate our policies on gun control and the availability of mental health services in America. A gun should not be easier to come by than mental health services.
– We’ve decided that Squirrelly’s middle name is Whirly. Squirrelly Whirly Castillo. Update your contact records.
– There’s been a whole internet fiasco involving Instagram changing its TOS to potentially force its users to become part of the world’s largest cache of stock photography. I’m sure you are already aware, but due to the backlash of this move IG backpedaled and changed the wording so this would no longer be the case. I was contemplating leaving IG (just like whole lot of other people I know) but now I’m not sure. I love my little IG community. I love to be able to scroll through and see a glimpse of your life. For now I’m keeping IG but I’m going to spend a whole lot more time on Flickr enjoying their awesome new app (which for some regrettable reason, is iPhone only. BOO). You can find me on flickr as ex.libris. Hope to see you there.
– If you are still on IG feel free to join in my #sentimentalstocking hash tag game. It’s as simple as the name sounds: post a photo of the sentimental Christmas stocking you’ve had for years and add the hash tag.
– Isobel was “doing my hair” the other day. She lovingly brushed it and patted it and styled it into intricate, tangled designs. I knew she was done when she tucked something, flower-like, behind my ear. “You’re all done, Mama!” she said. I looked in the mirror. Behind my ear she had placed a ratty, gnawed on cat-toy mouse.
– Isobel has been driving me up the wall lately. She’s full on testing her limits from the moment she opens her wide pixie eyes to the moment she involuntarily falls asleep at night. Anthony and I are considering changing her legal name to “Crabcakes.” As difficult as she is some days, and oh man, can she be difficult, the moment I see sleep melting across her sweet brow is the moment I feel perfectly content with our lives.
– Today and tomorrow are probably the last days for you to order from the Little Big Shop and have it reach your destination by Christmas! Order now! Hurry! And don’t forget to use coupon code SHIPFREE for free shipping.
Scrapbook: Christmas Tree Lane. A holiday tradition. Isobel was really into it this year.
Reuse Roundup: Refrigerator Doily Snowflakes. Doilies are my favorite thrifted DIY decoration ever.
Recipe: Magical Sick Day Soup. Kick your cold right in the nuts.
Thrifty Holidays: Our Christmas Decorations. Santa up and puked thrifted holiday cheer all over my house.
PBS Remixes: Reading Rainbow, Julia Child, Bob Ross and Mr Rogers. They just remixed my childhood. These are fantastic.
How a Cat Boosts Creativity. This is why I have four.
Do you have a question for me? I’d love to answer it! If it’s a short one I’ll answer it here. If it’s more complicated, I’ll give it its own post. You can leave your question in the comments, @-reply me on twitter, email it to me at email@example.com or send me a messenger pigeon. Don’t actually do the last one, though. My cat will eat it.