Snapshot 11.14.12

14 Nov

- Monday was really rough. I haven’t mentioned this here before but Anthony and I have been struggling with infertility for the better part of a year. We’re still in the testing phase to figure out what’s going on, and on Monday I had an ultrasound and sonogram. I was so worked up about the whole situation that I ended up having a panic attack. I’m feeling a lot better now and I know we’ll figure things out eventually. It’s like I said to Anthony, if it turns out we can only have one baby, then at least we got to have the best one. But we’re not there yet. There’s still more testing to be done.

- Gaze upon my collection of thrifted Choose You Own Adventure books. Gaze upon them! I’m going to have to write a post about them someday because they are hil-arious.

- The other day Isobel tried to shampoo Squirelly. She did manage to cover his back with a slick racing stripe of extra-volume conditioner, but fortunately I got to her before she could baptize him the toilet.

- My mom and I joined our local chapter of the MOMs Club, and in addition to being able to claim Westside! we have joined a playgroup so Isobel can get some more socialization time in. My mom recently took her to a Thanksgiving lunch/playdate activity and there were so many kids there she wore her coat backwards with her hood covering her face for the first fifteen minutes. After that she warmed up and participated in a local toddler ball-hoarding effort. Man, how many times have I been somewhere where the thought of wearing my hood over my face sounds like a good plan? Answer: many.

- How is there not already a chain restaurant called Marco Pollo?

- Zorro can open the door that leads from the garage into the kitchen. I have on many occasion mistaken him for a burger-slash-ghost-slash-ghost bugler. He’s been doing this for years and I’m still not used to it.

- A few weeks ago our pal Kingston came down with a serious case of the barfs. When I saw him after he was recovered he kept telling me about how badly sick he was. Actually, what he said was this:  “I was sick. I barfed. I BARFED. I BARFED LIKE A DOG.” Poor little dude. Barfing like a dog sounds terrible.

- When we go to the grocery store the clerks always give Isobel a sticker or two and she loves to stick them on me directly in the center of each breast so they look like the least appropriate scratch-and-sniff pasties ever.

Thrifty Living: DIY Cowl Tutorial -No sewing, crochet, or knitting skills required! Also, seventy billion photos of my head. Sorry about that.

Scrapbook: Home Life -I’m not going to lie. I bought that squirrel for me.

50 Thrifty Fun Things To Do: Safari Time – Life is full of wonder and also binoculars.

Recipe: Baked Eggs in a Bun – Cheap and easy, like your mom.

Perplexed Picard. You wouldn’t believe me if I told you. Well, maybe you would. Via @SarahIvy

Did you hear that NASA is contemplating a manned moon mission? I have a total moon boner right now. And all thanks to President Obama’s reelection.

I am no man. A father changes the text in The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker so Link is referred to as a girl. “I’m not having my daughter growing up thinking girls don’t get to be the hero.”

Cat Wedding Pinterest Board. Because, yes. Via Cookbook

Free Fall Printables. I love the eye doctor/trick or treat one.

25 Most Awkward Cat Sleeping Positions.

The Man Who Turned His Home into a Public Library. What an amazing story, and what a beautiful gift, especially in the Philippines, where access to books is limited. Via @Ihnatko

Superstring: is it as much fun as regular string? Scientific Americat. Via @dbbandit

Do you have a question for me? I’d love to answer it! If it’s a short one I’ll answer it here. If it’s more complicated, I’ll give it its own post. You can leave your question in the comments, @-reply me on twitter, email it to me at alittlebigblog@gmail.com or send me a messenger pigeon. Don’t actually do the last one, though. My cat will eat it.

28 Responses to “Snapshot 11.14.12”

1. Starry November 14, 2012 at 3:15 am #

hi, you sure do have one great kid there, but fingers crossed for you, I know you will cope with the life you are given either way. A panic attack now and then aside.

the barfing like a dog made me laugh, just the other day my dog ate a bit too much grass on our morning walk and ‘barfed’ on someone’s front lawn. I might scoop his poop, but I did not touch that! Best forgotten, right?
    Starry recently posted..upcycled dictionary pendant, vintage french-english, handmade, home made, brothel, french, butterfly by StarzyiaMy Profile

• Carrie Anne November 15, 2012 at 2:40 pm #

Dog barf has got to be waaay worse than cat barf. Cat barf is usually just regurgitated food pellets and hair. Dogs eat all kinds of mysterious horrors.

Thanks, Starry. <3

2. Klementine November 14, 2012 at 3:31 am #

I wanna wear my hood backwards…why can’t we do that any more? Your daughter has the right idea if you ask me! Plus it sounds adorable with a little kid.
    Klementine recently posted..Don’t pigeonhole me, please. Let me be girly if I want to.My Profile

• Carrie Anne November 15, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

It really is adorable.

3. han_nahj November 14, 2012 at 5:50 am #

Hilo LB–

You are amazeface. Everything will work out eventually. I’m hoping the absolute best for you, because let’s face it you just deserve it. Hugs from OH!

I’ve decided that I’m only referring to panic attacks as “asserting my dominance,” and I suggest you do the same. I went to the grocery store the other day. Asserted my dominance in the makeup aisle because they discontinued my eyeliner.

HJ

• Carrie Anne November 15, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

Hannah, you are one of my favorite peoplefaces. I’m so glad we met.

xoxo

4. mrshiggison November 14, 2012 at 5:52 am #

Hood over face. That’s genius. I’m using it for my car naps foreverandeveramen.
    Infertility is the biggest mindf**k of all times. My heart will save a special place for you.
    mrshiggison recently posted..Hippy Dippy Stuff- Naturopath StyleMy Profile

• Carrie Anne November 15, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Thanks, love.

Isobel really can be quite the genius sometimes.

5. Amy November 14, 2012 at 6:37 am #

I know anecdotal input doesn’t amount to much, but I’l say that it took us a little over two years to conceive Jack. It wasn’t an easy journey, but I maintain that it happened in the best possible way because if we conceived at any other time, it might not have been our Jack. (Corny, I know.)

My thoughts are with you. <3

• Carrie Anne November 15, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Amy, you inspire me. FYI.

6. Jaimee @ Craft, Interrupted November 14, 2012 at 7:09 am #

*fist bumps* for the Panic Attack Club. I’m a charter member. It took us a year and a half to conceive our first. One of the most discouraging, disappointing, frustrating experiences of my life. Many tears watching friends become mommies instead of me…but it did happen for us. Charting temps helped me tremendously “Taking Charge of Your Fertility” by Toni Weschler was my bible for awhile. Hang in there lady. Hope the doc can give you some answers!

In the meantime, your little family of three is badass, so rock it!
    Jaimee @ Craft, Interrupted recently posted..Angry Birds & Piggies PomsMy Profile

• Carrie Anne November 15, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

I am so sorry we share both infertility and panic attacks. At least we both share awesome, too.

xoxo

7. souphead November 14, 2012 at 7:38 am #

“if it turns out we can only have one baby, then at least we got to have the best one”

I’ve had this exact same thought. And you really did get the best one (we can each have the best one, it’s allowed). Good luck and many many hugs

xo

• Carrie Anne November 15, 2012 at 2:43 pm #

We do all have the best ones, and it is totally allowed.

Thanks, soupy. xoxox

8. K November 14, 2012 at 11:46 am #

Poor Kingston. That sounds all around no bueno.

And so is infertility, really. T and I were knee deep in that whatnot and it sucks and I wish I could spare everyone I like from its wretchedness. And I’m sorry you’re having to deal with going to third base with that gross ultrasound wand with the future uncertainty.
    K recently posted..And then she turned threeMy Profile

• Carrie Anne November 15, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

OH MAN, “going to third base with the ultrasound wand” made me laugh SO HARD.

Thanks for that. Love ya.

9. Julie November 14, 2012 at 12:00 pm #

Uuuuuuugh, infertility is such a dirty bitch. So stressful, so exhausting, so unfair (as childish as that sounds). The one benefit I see in it all is the perspective it gives me with the one I have. This may be my only two year old so please, go ahead, be your wild, raggamuffiny, out of control self little one. Doesn’t make the infertility any easier but sometimes I think I might be a better mother than I would have been because of it. I hope things get figured out for you. xo
    Julie recently posted..Winter Light, Winter FoodMy Profile

• Carrie Anne November 15, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

I totally know what you mean. Thank you so much, Julie. <3

10. Anne November 14, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

I’m sending all the good thoughts your way! And I know that no matter what happens, you have a beautiful family. I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating: I’m not one to gush about kids being cute – Isobel is one of the few who rank up there with cute puppies in my book. (This truly is a compliment coming from me, the weirdo.)
    Anne recently posted..Terra Cotta Cowl Scarf – autumn colors – warm vegan neck cowl by AnneArchyMy Profile

• Carrie Anne November 15, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

I take that as a WONDERFUL compliment. :D

xoxo

11. Erin November 14, 2012 at 3:58 pm #

I have a sad for you. And a hope that you’ll get answers.
    Also! Choose Your Own Adventure! I loved those books. I cheated like a mofo. Die as a Mayan sacrifice? I THINK NOT.
    Erin recently posted..Valpo 13.1 Half MarathonMy Profile

• Carrie Anne November 15, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

“Die as a Mayan sacrifice? I THINK NOT.”

Ok, I’d read the hell out of a CYOA book with a subtitle like that. I cheated at those books constantly. I’d tell myself if I just peeked at the pages *just a bit* but didn’t open them all the way then it didn’t count.

Thanks for the love, Erin.

12. kara November 14, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

The barfs part made me actually laugh out loud. I have used the exact phrasing of: “case of the barfs” but I will now be adding “barfed like a dog” to my descriptive language. Laughter really is the best medicine!!

Also, keep on keepin’ on.
    kara recently posted..My Tree BrokeMy Profile

• Carrie Anne November 15, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

I can’t stop saying “Barfed like a dog” now. I think he must have heard someone say that he was “sick as a dog,” because he’s never seen a dog barf before. Too funny.

Thanks Kara. xoxo

13. carolyn November 15, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

<3 The internet has your back, yo.

• Carrie Anne November 15, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

You know I love ya, babe.

14. Papagayita November 15, 2012 at 7:10 pm #

Sending good thoughts your way. Second the temperature charting and book rec. Also, acupuncture? I’ve had several friends have success with acupuncture and TCM. Many hugs from the internet!

• Carrie Anne November 19, 2012 at 2:56 pm #