What I’m up to:
– Anthony went back to work on Monday after a long recovery period from shoulder surgery. I’m trying to adjust to my normal schedule of working around the house without him here. I did the math and realized that he’s been off work for the same amount of time I used to have for summer vacation when I still worked at the library–just shy of three months. I think I have empty nest syndrome.
– As you may have noticed from some of my nonsensical twitter posts, Isobel loves to grab my phone on the premise of talking to Siri. Sometimes she can’t remember Siri’s name though, so Isobel calls her Harry.
– I have been working diligently at decluttering my house and generally trying to bring order to chaos. I have my work cut out for me, though, because my Etsy cupboards, craft closet, and pantry need some serious attention. I’m getting on top of things though and that feels great.
– My photo was featured on Mental Floss! Viva la Geeky Couples!
– Isobel loves to say “bless you,” especially after a cat barfs.
– Sir Patrick Stewart is on twitter! He has not immediately responded to my declarations of love.
– I spent two bucks and brought a brand-spanking-new journal to put all my ideas in. This has helped declutter my paper pile significantly. How do you organize your thoughts and ideas? I have to physically write them down. Typing it up on the computer or phone doesn’t work for some reason.
– Poppy and Zorro have become like an old married couple. They sit together in comfortable long silences. They groom each other. They canoodle. I never would have guessed those two crazy kids would get together. It’s a damn shame they’re both fixed. They’d have adorable kittens.
– StarTrek.com recently polled its readers to find out who the most intimidating Star Trek captain was. Picard lost by a narrow margin to Sisko. Ordinarily I’d call shenanigans but Sisko did punch Q and, more importantly, Avery Brooks is cray cray which really bumps up the intimidation factor.
– I won my first game of Seven Wonders recently and was so proud I decided to hang the scorecard on my fridge.
– Anthony and I are really disappointed with several aspects of game play in Mass Effect 3. They took out almost all the casual interaction scenes and took out a lot of the detail in a lot of the worlds.
– Isobel will turn anything on hand into a “cake”, “cupcake”, or “cookie.” I think we have a future baker on our hands.
– We’re pretty broke from Anthony’s extended bout of disability. If you’d like to purchase and ad on Little Big I’d really appreciate it. Also, I have a sweet Etsy shop.
– Squirrelly likes to wake me up at four in the morning by aggressively licking my face, headbutting my nose, and purring into my ear so loudly I dream of attacking swarms of bees.
Little Big Links:
Tickys! The Olympics are over but this Funny or Die video featuring my hero Patrick Stewart and Simon Pegg lives on.
Do We? We Do. Beck’s latest album is being released only via sheet music. Ima get out my flute and make me some sweet sweet love to this music. I love Beck Hansen with all of my heart parts. What’s that about Scientology? SHHH. SHHH YOUR FACEHOLE SHHHH. I LOVE HIM WITH MY HEARTPARTS.
Forgotten Bookmarks – The Secret Lives of Second-Hand Books. As a librarian I found some strange things used as bookmarks and it seems that every time I bring home a bag of secondhand books I find something interesting that someone left behind. Via @brainpicker
It’s all here. I can’t wait to read the musings of my British buddy Nic Piper. He also has Crohn’s disease and he’s one of the kindest, funniest guys I’ve ever met. To top it all off, he’s an amazing writer, artist and photographer. Do yourself a favor and get to know him.
The Eight Creepiest Hidden Glitches in Video Games.One time my husband’s cousin managed to jump inside a chicken fryer while playing GTA. He ended up in some sort of purgatory world. This article is even weirder than that.
A list of Sci Fi books from the 60s we should all read. I’m still not over the James Patterson incident, so I’m going to force my love of Sci Fi on my book club. By the venerable Monte Cook via Anthony.
- Beautiful couch buddy
- Everybody loves Squirrelly
- Cutest holdup ever
- Drinking from the faucet
- Helping Anthony prepare
- Squirrelly kisses
- Welcome to my crowded bed
- Protip from Isobel: Dress for the job you want
- Pirates 4 life
- Ready for the day
Do you remember your favorite teacher?
My favorite teacher was named Mr Sutterly. I had him in the fourth grade and he nurtured my intense curiosity and love of learning. I was kind of a weird kid but I was totally oblivious of that fact. He never made me feel like I was anything but normal which would be a stark contrast to my fifth and sixth grade teachers, who were terrible. We shared the same birthday, which I thought was absolute magic.
Do you have a question for me? I’d love to answer it! You can leave your question in the comments, @-reply me on twitter, email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or send me a messenger pigeon. Don’t actually do the last one, though. My cat will eat it.