While no one really needs a recipe for a BLT salad, we are deep into summer and sometimes we all need a little salad inspiration during these long hot months. A reminder of all the versatile, delicious ways to enjoy those greens and avoid heating up the kitchen. Of course, I kind of ruined that last aspect by suggesting a salad with bacon, but I cook bacon in big batches in the summer to avoid heating up the house unnecessarily.
It goes without saying that adding rough hunks of buttery avocado and turning this salad into a BLTA would take this dish over the moon, but this came about, like so many other dishes, by happy accident based on what I had on hand. Believe me, if this had been planned avocados would have had a starring role, but it was juicy and delicious as it was. (Actually, if I had avocados on hand I probably would have coated the salad in this avocado salad dressing.) I used homemade pumpernickel bread that our friend Kyle brought over for a D&D session. He left the remaining half o loaf with us and I toasted it at with a spray of olive oil at 350 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Pumpernickel is dense and moist and I wanted a crispy crouton.
Ingredients below are for a salad that serves one as a meal or two or three people as a side dish.
- Salad greens of your choice 2 1/2 cups; I used mixed greens but bibb or spinach would be great, too.
- Croutons, 1 cup
- 1 large tomato cut into wedges; if you grow them yourself this will be spectacular
- 2-3 pieces bacon, crumbled
- 3 tbs spring onions, thinly sliced
- Salad dressing of choice
– If you are making your own croutons slice the bread and toast as per directions above. Watch carefully after the ten minute mark. Age and type of bread affects toasting time, as does personal preference. I like a really crispy crouton.
– Add the greens to a large plate or bowl and assemble the salad by adding the remaining ingredients. Toss well and then add a thin coating of salad dressing. I used a fancy bottled ranch to mimic the creaminess of the mayonnaise in a BLT sandwich, but as I mentioned above an avocado dressing would be amazing and so would a red wine vinaigrette made with the rendered bacon fat and a smidge of grainy mustard.
– Crank up the AC and enjoy.